Selected General Bar Prep Guides
General Admission and Exam Information
Most states require bar exam applicants to complete a lengthy application along with a series of exams which typically include the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE), the multiple-choice Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), and a series of essay questions. Some jurisdictions may also test practical skills. The resources below link to basic information about application procedures to the North Carolina Bar, along with links to information about the various parts of the exam and general bar exam admission requirements for most U.S. jurisdictions.
- National Conference of Bar Examiners
Includes statistics on bar passage, some free and for-purchase practice questions, and information about the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE), Multistate Essay Exam (MEE), Multistate Performance Test (MPT), and the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE).
- Multistate Bar Exam (MBE)— “a six-hour, 200-question multiple-choice examination covering contracts, torts, constitutional law, criminal law and procedure, evidence, and real property." You can download the 2014 Information Booklet below or see it online by clicking here.
- Multistate Essay Exam (MEE)—“a collection of 30-minute essay questions administered by participating jurisdictions on the Tuesday before the last Wednesday in February and July of each year. The MEE offers nine questions per examination, with most jurisdictions selecting six questions from the nine.” Topics include Business Associations, Conflict of Laws, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Procedure, Evidence, Family Law, Federal Civil Procedure, Real Property, Torts, Trusts and Estates, and Uniform Commercial Code. You can download the 2013 Information Booklet below or see it online by clicking here.
- Multistate Performance Test (MPT)—“consists of two 90-minute skills questions covering legal analysis, fact analysis, problem solving, resolution of ethical dilemmas, organization and management of a lawyering task, and communication.” You can download the 2013 Information Booklet below or see it online by clicking here.
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE)—“a 60-question, two-hour-and-five-minute, multiple-choice examination administered three times each year.” You can download the 2013 Information Booklet below or see it online by clicking here.
- North Carolina Board of Law Examiners
Admission and application information and forms, past exam results, selected past essay exam answers, and general dates and deadlines.
- Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admissions
From the NCBE, this is a general guide to bar admission in each U.S. jurisdiction available in PDF below.
- Bar Exam Brief
Links to news and information about the bar exam from across the country.
- FindLaw Bar Exam Results
Findlaw offers links to bar exam results for each of the 50 states (unofficial).